Students across Northwestern see study abroad as a key to furthering their intellectual pursuits.
With planning and support, the study abroad experience can be truly life-changing. About half of our students choose to supplement their academic studies with an international experience.
Northwestern's study abroad programs
Northwestern-sponsored study abroad programs are developed and administered by Northwestern's Study Abroad Office, Office of International Program Development and the Buffett Institute's Global Engagement Studies Institute.
In these programs, you'll see the same rigorous standards and academic excellence found here in Evanston.
Northwestern programs study a variety of subjects around the world.
- Nanotechnology in Germany
- Economic development in China
- Culture in Cuba
- Field research in Tanzania
- Community development in Nicaragua
- Energy policy in China
- Modern state of Israel
- Public health in Mexico
- Critical theory in France
- Community development in Kenya
- Renewable energy in Germany
- Community development in Bolivia
- Public health in India
- Field studies in France
- Healthcare technology in South Africa
- EU studies in France
- Public health in Cuba
700+ undergrads study abroad each year
- Types of study abroad programs:
- Field study
- Cultural immersion
- Clinical research
- Service learning
- University courses
- Independent study