Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Campus Safety

We work to ensure that your home away from home will be a safe one.

Our students thrive because they are supported and secure. 

Use this page to learn about the health resources, medical care, emergency response and security on campus.

Physical and mental health services

For physical health issues, our on-campus Health Service provides general medical and women's health appointments, including urgent after-hours medical care.

For mental health concerns, CAPS: Counseling and Psychological Services provides essential mental health services, including brief therapy, crisis intervention, referrals to off-campus providers when appropriate and a wide range of educational programs and workshops.

To address issues related to substance use on campus, the Alcohol and Other Drug Resources is a hub for our services and resources. The Center for Awareness, Response & Education (CARE) provides advice, crisis counseling and support about sexual violence.  

Emergency prevention and response

Annual Security and Fire Safety Report

You are entitled to request and receive a copy of the University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

This report includes:

  • Statistics for the previous three years concerning reported "Clery Act" crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from campus.
  • Institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies on drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual misconduct, emergency preparedness, and other matters.

The disclosure of this report is required as part of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), collectively referred to as the “Clery Act.”

Obtain a copy

Access the report online or request a copy from the Northwestern University Police Department Deputy Chief at 847-491-3256.

Back to top