International Student Aid
Financing your education.
Learn more about financial aid and whether it's an option for you.
We have a need-aware admission review for international students, meaning that a request for financial aid and the amount of financial aid you require may factor into your admission decision.
Only first-year applicants are eligible for financial aid. Additionally, as part of the need-aware aid policy, you must apply for, and receive financial aid, for your first year if you plan to apply for assistance in later years.
Students in the process of obtaining permanent residency in the United States are not eligible for federal financial aid and are considered for admission in a need-aware manner. Once permanent residency is finalized, students qualify for aid under Northwestern’s domestic aid budget.
Financial Aid Awards for International Students
- Meet 100% of a student’s demonstrated financial need
- Consider the full cost of attendance (tuition, room and board, fees, health insurance, books and supplies, personal expenses and travel allowance)
- Consist only of grants and scholarships, which do not need to be repaid
- Packages are loan- and work-free
- Apply only to undergraduate study
- Will increase with university cost increases, while family contributions will remain the same
Northwestern cannot assume responsibility for economic changes such as currency fluctuation, and we cannot replace lost support that a student may have expected to receive from friends, relatives, or government and corporate grants.