Skip to main content
Northwestern University

International Student Aid

Financing your education.

Learn more about financial aid and whether it's an option for you.

This page explains financial aid options for international students and provides next steps for those interested in applying for aid.

Eligibility for aid

Cost should not be viewed as a barrier to pursuing an education at Northwestern.

Need-based financial aid is available to international students seeking undergraduate degrees. We guarantee to meet 100% of all admitted first-year students' demonstrated financial need for all four years. A request for financial aid consideration and the amount of financial aid you require may be a factor in a final admission decision.

International Aid Awards

Northwestern issues four-year aid awards for international applicants. You must apply for and receive financial aid for your first year if you plan to apply for assistance in later years. If you pursue medical, law or graduate school from any of the other professional programs at Northwestern, your aid will be discontinued at that point.

Financial aid is not offered to international transfer applicants. Students in the process of obtaining lawful permanent residency status in the United States cannot be considered for federal financial aid until they receive actual documentation of their immigration status. Once permanent residency status is finalized, students will qualify for aid under the domestic aid budget.

A financial aid package typically includes a Northwestern grant, which does not have to be repaid. Loans are not part of Northwestern's financial aid packages. Work requirements are not part of Northwestern financial aid packages. On-campus employment is available, and you are encouraged to apply, but options are limited for those with student visas.

Apply for aid

Visit the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid for the most detailed information about Northwestern's international financial aid policy and for further instructions on how to correctly complete financial aid forms.


Back to top